Here is a family favorite: Basic Guacamole – great for chips and raw vegetables, sandwiches, tacos, burritos, burgers, and whatever foods need some extra pizazz!
This takes just 15 minutes to make – less, if you have a blender or food processor.
What you need for Basic Guacamole:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- Blender/Food Processor OR big shallow bowl and forks or potato masher
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- cayenne powder to taste
- minced green or red bell pepper
- diced tomato
- Set aside storage container. It’s easier if you have this on hand first.
- Cut avocado open in two halves. Spoon out smushy green part into blender or big bowl. Spoon the pits into the storage container. The pits help to keep guacamole’s vibrant color.
- Add lime juice, garlic, and salt, optional additions
- Cover tightly and chill. Keeps for a week in refridgerator. Remove pits before serving.
This makes about 6 servings. For our family of five, we usually double this recipe. The photos below show my teenaged daughter making a double batch. Yes, I am a proud mama bear! Here’s another one of my daughter’s (and sons’) favorite recipes: homemade hummus.
Enjoy! Stay tuned for Marilyn’s Make It Monday Recipe Week 2!