This past spring, I picked up a book that Marilyn’s husband Steve read, The Unhealthy Truth: How Our Food is Making Us Sick and What We Can Do About It by Robyn O’Brien. Before reading this book, I thought I was an informed consumer. Boy, was I wrong! The layout is user-friendly; I highly recommend getting it from the library.
Shortly after that I went to see Jeffrey Smith, whom O’Brien references in her book, at the Northeast Organic Farmers Association (NOFA) conference.
Smith is the head of the Institute of Responsive Technology, and after hearing his keynote speech, I became even more vigilant about reading food labels. The problem is few packaged foods and fewer produce are labeled in the United States. Here, you have to do extra detective work to figure this out. Look at the map above. If 50+ countries around the world can inform consumers about genetically modified ingredients, why can’t the United States?
Jeffrey Smith answers this question and more in his film, Genetic Roulette – The Gamble of Our Lives. This week through September 22, you can see Jeffrey Smith’s film for free on-line. Watch the trailer Genetic Roulette—The Gamble of Our Lives here
It is a life-changer. Watch the whole movie Genetic Roulette—The Gamble of Our Lives here
As in my post Cheap is Not Affordable (Part 1), I ask, again, you think healthcare is expensive now? Well, after seeing this movie, even if you just watch the beginning, you will realize that if we don’t take notice nor take action, our long-term health and that of the next generation will greatly suffer. To paraphrase a quote from “Real Food, Real Kids, “We have been enticed by low prices and short-term convenience, and misinformed about nutrition and the inevitable long-term health consequences of our choices.”
Invest in your future, invest the time it takes to get educated about GMOs. Start with seeing this film, Genetic Roulette: the Gamble of Our Lives.
Your Health is Your Wealth!
- Attention Shoppers: Why Should You Care About GMOs in Your Food (twofrugalfairfielders.com)
- Organic Food is Not Just for Rich People (twofrugalfairfielders.com)
- How to Eat Healthy Without Busting Your Budget: The New EWG Guide (twofrugalfairfielders.com)
- Frugally Sustainable: Make a Home-Cooked Meal (twofrugalfairfielders.com)
- New Documentary ‘Genetic Roulette’ Indicts GMO Agriculture: This Week Only, Watch Free Online! (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- Watch Jeffrey Smith’s Groundbreaking Movie Genetic Roulette Free Online Sept. 15-22 (farmwars.info)